Thursday, September 08, 2005

Cell Phone Use Hindered After Katrina

I have repeatedly tried to call a friend since Katrina moved through New Orleans, but I've never gotten through. I know she wasn't even in the state when the hurricane hit, but her cell phone has a New Orleans area code.

Cell phone area codes do a play an important role in how a call is directed across the nation. First, it goes toward a sort of central switch of that area code, and then goes out to find the phone. The central switch for "225" hasn't been working.

This is a simple summation of the situation, confirmed to me a source on the GIO list serve. (Get Illinois Online)

So, even if she would be a block away from me in Chicago, I can't call her cell. Hopefully, this will change in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home